Sunday, April 18, 2010

Cranberry Orange Baked Oatmeal

Now, i don't really care for oatmeal but Cranberry and Orange together?? That, i can't resist!! Cranberry and orange together is one of my favorite things!!!! So when i saw this recipe posted on My Own Sweet Thyme (which was adapted from Cranberry and Apple Baked Oatmeal at The Ungourmet) i had to give it a try. By the way, if you haven't checked out My Own Sweet Thyme, go take a look. She has some great looking recipes!



Ingredients:
3 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 1/4 cups milk
1/4 cup orange juice concentrate (or orange juice)
1/3 cup dried cranberries (or substitute 1 cup chopped fresh cranberries)
2 Tablespoons whiskey (or orange juice)
1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (if desired)

** Note: I cut the recipe in half and baked in a 8x8 inch pan but used the original amount of cranberries and orange juice!! I wanted all the flavor i could get and half of 1/3 cup cranberries just didn't seem to be enough!!


In a small microwave safe container stir together the dried cranberries and whiskey or orange juice. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Set aside. (Skip this step if using fresh chopped cranberries).

In a large bowl stir together the oats, brown sugar, salt, baking powder, ginger and cardamon.


In a small bowl stir together eggs, butter, milk and orange juice concentrate. ( i apparently was in my own little world this morning and totally forgot to add the milk!! Still turned out good though! LOL!!)


Add the egg mixture to the oat mixture. Stir in combine.


Fold in the cranberries and nuts, if desired. ( i didn't have any walnuts to add but will def add next time!)


Pour into a lightly greased 9-inch square baking dish.



Bake at 350° for approximately 40 minutes.

Serve warm with brown sugar and milk.

5 comments:

  1. Love the post. Informative and well-written. This would certainly get me out of bed in the morning. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love oatmeal. Can't wait to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have company coming to stay at our house this week. I am going to make this recipe one morning for breakfast. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i saw this on Kim's blog, The UnGourmet, loved it, and now I see your version and I love this as well. I think it may be time to make this. Love oatmeal, and baked is such a nice way to serve it. Big YUMS up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks really good Michelle:)

    ReplyDelete