Monday, May 3, 2010

Marinated Chicken Gyro Wraps

These wraps are very springy tasting. They came to together quickly too, as long as you have the marinade ready to roll and put over the chicken. I made mine and let it go over night. I also didn't use cucumbers or the right kind of pitas because I couldn't find the right ones {pitas}.
This recipe is from the Deen brothers.
Chicken:
1 1/2 lbs chicken breast cut into 1-inch-long fingers
2 T. olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 t. dried oregano
3/4 t. ground cumin
salt and black pepper

In a large bowl, place the chicken, oil, 1 clove garlic,
oregano, cumin and salt and pepper to taste; toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and
refrigerate for 1 hour.

Yogurt-Dill Sauce:
1 c. Greek yogurt or plain yogurt
1/4 c. finely chopped red onion
1 to 2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 1/2 T. chopped fresh dill
2 t. freshly squeezed lemon juice
salt and freshly ground pepper
In a small bowl, stir together the Yogurt-Dill Sauce ingredients.
Chill until ready to use.

Preheat the broiler. Spread the chicken on a baking sheet. Broil 6 inches from heat about 8 mins. or until cooked through.

4 pita wraps, warmed
1 c. shredded lettuce
1 c. chopped tomato
1/2 c. sliced cucumber

To serve, spread each pita with some sauce. Divide the chicken, lettuce, tomato, and cucumber evenly among the pitas. If desired top with additional sauce.



11 comments:

  1. I LOVE the idea of the yogurt-dill sauce. How delicious this gyro must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the recipe!!! looks like a good one to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried gyros at home...these look super :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum I LOVE gyros! I also love the fact that your yogurt-dill sauce doesn't have mint in it...it seems like all of the tzatziki-style sauces always have mint which I'm not a fan of. Great looking recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look really yummy!! Ive tried a recipe similiar to this that was Guy's and it was really yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those gyros, they are served so many places here around Chicago but, I've never tried them at home. I will now and thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could enjoy these sandwiches. They look delicious and easy to make. You've tempted me. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. The wraps look and sound tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would be all over this chicken gyro! I love everything about it from the pita, to the marinate for the chicken, to the yummy yogurt dill sauce! Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a sucker for these kind of sandwiches/wraps. Oh, the flavors are so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmm, so yummy! I love the way this sounds!

    ReplyDelete